Wednesday, April 13, 2005

A lesson from a Homeless Man

Tonight as I was coming home from work, I got a craving for a Pepsi and Cheetos! I decided to stop at a 7 eleven close to my house. As I pulled in a saw that there was a man who was obviously homeless, sitting in a wheelchair with a cup of coffee. My first thought as I was getting out of my car was, "Great, he is going to hound me for money." I started to walk to the front of the store, and of course was not trying to make eye contact. That's when he looked at me and said, "good evening!" I said hello back and then walked into the store, in shame. I can't believe that I, DANIELLE, actually thought about him in such an insensitive way. I guess that after being bugged so much by people, that I was getting annoyed. I got my stuff and after thinking about it for a few minutes, I asked the cashier for cash back. To his response of how much? I looked out the window at the older man saying Hi to people and sipping on warm coffee. I looked back at the cashier and said $20. I got my bag and walked out. This time I made eye contact with the man. He had no idea that my intentions where to give him money. Instead he looked at me and said Take Care. I looked at him and then smiled and slipped him the $20. He looked at me with the biggest smile and said, "Thank you!" I saw his smile all the way into his eyes. I got back into my car and started to drive away and he smiled and waived to me. I sat and thought for a minute, He was never going to ask me for any money. This man had sat there with nothing, couldn't even walk and he had the spirit to say Hi and to tell ME to take care. I think that I got more from him than he got from me. He truly taught me to never doubt the human spirit, and even in the worst situations to never loose your kindness. I must say he woke me up and lifted my heart. Now when I see a homeless person.....My first thought won't be god he is going to ask for money. It will be hmmm what can I give him to make him smile in his eyes?

1 comment:

~*Daniella Bella*~ said...

lol you nut!